Australia’s vast and diverse landscapes offer camping enthusiasts with utterly stunning choices when it comes to beach camping or bush camping.
So which one do you generally go for?
Both options promise unique experiences, each with its allure and adventure.
In this blog, we’re sharing our top tips on camping on the sandy shores or the lush bushland of our great landscapes.
Plus, we’ll reveal how the right 4WD awning can enhance your camping experience, providing shade and shelter in the great outdoors – especially the wind at the beach.
Beach camping: Where sand meets serenity
So, why should you consider setting up camp by the ocean?
- The call of the waves: Beach camping offers the ultimate seaside serenity. Falling asleep to the soothing sounds of waves is an experience like no other. Wake up to the gentle sunrise with a coffee in hand, take a morning dip, and relish in the tranquil coastal vibes.
- Exploring marine wonders: Beaches are often teeming with marine life. Grab your snorkelling gear and explore the underwater world. From colourful fish to mesmerising coral reefs, the ocean is your playground. Even walking along the shoreline, you see things only others dream of … dolphins frollicking in the water, a sea bird swooping down to pluck fish from the ocean (we’ve been lucky enough to see one pick up a small octopus right in front of our eyes!), see stingrays come right up to you, and watch sharks in a feeding frenzy. It’s absolutely unimaginable!
- Endless activities: Whether it’s building sandcastles with the kids, playing beach volleyball or frisbee, 4WDing the dunes, or simply strolling along the shore picking up shells (or rubbish!), there’s no shortage of activities to keep everyone entertained.
Top tips for beach camping:
- Choose the right spot: Check local camping regulations and choose a designated camping area. Look for sites with natural windbreaks like dunes, bushland or vegetation – it can get very windy at the beach.
- Sand-proof your setup: High-quality ground mats or flooring under your tent or 4WD awning can help keep sand out of your sleeping area (even though it’s a hard task). A sturdy sleeping arrangement is essential to withstand gusty coastal winds. Swags are a great idea, a swag on a stretcher is even better, but we’ve also camped at the beach in many tents, including a two-bedroom OzTent, and now the Troopy (it’s definitely our best option!).
- Be sun smart: When you’re camping at the beach, there might not often be a lot of shade or shelter, so it’s important that you protect yourself from the strong Aussie sun with sunscreen, hats, and UV-protective clothing, and create a setup that offers shade and protection from the sun. Many people have 4WD awnings, gazebos and umbrellas, but a strong and sturdy 4WD awning fixed to your vehicle will always be your best bet when the wind gets up.
- Leave no trace: Respect the coastal environment by taking all rubbish with you and minimising your impact on the dunes and wildlife.
Bush camping: Where nature beckons
- Immersed in nature: Bush camping allows you to be immersed in Australia’s rich flora and fauna. Wake up to the songs of birds, spot wallabies hopping by, and breathe in the crisp eucalyptus-scented air.
- Off-the-grid bliss: While you can be off the grid when beach camping, there’s something spectacular about being unreachable in the bush. If you’re seeking a digital detox, bush camping is your answer. Limited or no phone signal means you can truly disconnect and reconnect with nature and those sweet sounds of nothing!
- Remote serenity: Bush camping often takes you far from the crowds. Enjoy the peace and solitude of remote locations, where the starlit skies are a breathtaking sight. How great is it when you’re the only car at camp!
Top tips for bush camping:
- Know the terrain: Bush camping can involve challenging terrains and tracks. Ensure your 4WD is in top shape and carry recovery gear.
- Plan for wildlife: Australia’s bush is home to a variety of wildlife. Store food securely to deter curious critters and respect their space. Remember to take your binoculars and camera!
- Navigational skills: Familiarise yourself with maps and GPS systems, and let someone know your camping plans. The bush can be unforgiving and you can get disoriented and lost easily.
4WD awning: Your shelter in the great outdoors
- Beach bliss with an awning: While beach camping offers sun and surf, it can also mean scorching temperatures, high winds and summer storms. An awning provides a cool and protected haven where you can relax, share stories, and cook without the relentless sun beating down.
- Bush comfort with a 4WD awning: In the bush, awnings offer refuge from both scorching sun and unpredictable weather. Whether it’s a sudden downpour or blistering heat, your awning becomes your oasis.
- Easy setup, maximum comfort: Get a 4WD awning that’s a breeze to set up. Our Destination 4WD awnings require no poles (they only clutter your campsite!). You can enjoy an unobstructed view of the wilderness while remaining comfortably shaded and protected from Australia’s harsh weather events.
- Sturdy and reliable: A high-quality Aussie-made awning, like those from Destination4WD, are built to withstand harsh Australian conditions. They feature reinforced structures and rugged materials, ensuring they won’t let you down when you need them most.
Embrace Australia's natural beauty
In the end, the choice between beach camping and bush camping comes down to your personal preferences.
Both offer unique experiences, and in Australia, you’re spoiled for choice. What’s important is that you embrace the great outdoors, respect the environment and place where you are camping, and make lasting memories with your friends and family.
Whether your campsite is by the ocean’s edge or deep in the bush, a reliable awning is your trusted companion. So, pack your camping gear, choose your destination, and embark on an adventure that’s uniquely Australian.
Take a Destination4WD awning with you on your next family camping trip
If you’re ready to get out there and experience more adventures and need a freestanding 4WD awning, we’ve got you covered. Read our Destination4WD customer review here.